Better hearing requires more than just hearing aids. Hearing your best means having the right technology — fit specifically to your unique hearing needs — for the environments you find yourself in most often, and maximizing that technology with better communication strategies.
When you are fit with new technology, there will be an adjustment period. If you are communicating with someone with untreated hearing loss or if you or they are using hearing aids for the first time, the following communication tips can be used to enhance conversations:
- Sit or stand 3 to 6 feet away to maximize audibility
- Stay at eye level to help with visual cues
- Make sure you have the person’s attention before speaking
- Use facial expressions and gestures to accentuate your message
- Raise your voice slightly but do not yell
- Speak slowly and distinctly
- Use short, simple sentences
- Rephrase your words if the person is having a hard time understanding you
- To avoid distortion, don’t speak directly into a person’s ear
We can help you with better communication techniques. Our practice regularly hosts open houses and hearing events in which you, your family, and your friends are welcome to come by and discuss the unique communication issues you or they face at greater length.
We recommend booking an appointment for a comprehensive hearing consultation so that our hearing care providers can find out more about your specific type of hearing loss and lifestyle. Contact us to schedule a complete consultation.